'Tis the season to be jolly while out on the wild prairie hunting down that big buck that will provide one of several meals you will share with friends and families through the holiday season!
One of our favorite cuts for the holiday meal is a venison roast. It’s the perfect meat to add to your table this Christmas! Before that happens, though, you need to smoke it to perfection, and we have the only 5 steps you need right here!
1. MARINATE the roast for eight hours in the fridge in a mixture of 12 oz. of liquid (beer, chicken broth, or plain soda water will work), ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce, the juice from ½ of a lemon, and 1 Tbsp. of salt.
2. REMOVE from marinade, let the roast stand at room temperature, and dry a little while heating the smoker to 225-250 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. COAT the roast with Brian and Angel’s Brisket rub (every nook and cranny!)
4. COVER the venison with Angel’s Apricot BBQ sauce (again, all sides and every nook and cranny).
5. PLACE in the smoker and let it cook until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit. A good rule of thumb is 45-60 minutes per pound of roast.
6. REMOVE the roast from the smoker and let it rest for 15 minutes before slicing and plating.
You’ll want to place that beauty of a venison roast on the table somewhere between that old ham and the pot of mashed potatoes. You won’t even need to say a word about it. After saying grace, it will disappear faster than any other meat on the table!